120mm 2S12A carrier mortar is designed to engage (suppress) by high-angle fire the enemy's personnel and firing assets located:
- in the open as well as in field entrenchments;
- on the back sides of hills and in canyons;
- in close vicinity to the forward edge of the battle area.
The mortar can be used to fulfill the following tactical tasks:
- destruction of entrenchments, ditches, communication trenches and light log emplacements, breaching gaps in wire obstacles;
- fire support and infantry support;
- adjustment of fire and target designation with the use of smoke and illuminating mortar bombs;
- illumination of the battlefield forward edge and the enemy firing positions, observation and command posts;
- screening the enemy firing positions and observation and command posts with smoke, laying a smoke screen for infantry attacking the enemy's defense lines.
This 120-mm mortar fires HE mortar bombs. Smoke, illuminating, incendiary and leaflet bombs can also be used to conduct certain tactical and fire tasks.